Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Curbside Chic Mission

My goal here is to share my love of curbing and garage/estate sale-ing (technically you have to go over a curb to get to a garage!) with the world. I want to share my finds and my ideas and plans for them. I would also love to feature your finds and ideas.

What is curbing you may ask? It is when you see that fabulous antique dresser, pretty pot or formica table sitting there on the curb nestled between the trash can and (one hopes) the recycling bin. It has been abandoned by its former family because maybe it needs a little tlc or because their tastes have changed and it doesn't fit in any more. It just isn't loved any more. But like an abandoned puppy or kitten you see its potential and realize you do have space in your heart and home for it. You pull over to the side of the road (hopefully signalling and giving those behind you plenty of warning, perhaps circling back around the block so as not to cause a bigger pile at that curb!) and get out and wrestle your find into your vehicle and take it home, where hopefully you will have a long and happy relationship.

If you are like me, you might feel a little furtive and want to channel your inner cat burglar but it is ok. Be strong and remind yourself of the service you are doing for this find and for the environment by keeping such finds out of the landfills.

Where I live it is perfectly acceptable to curb...many take a lot of time to display their goodies much like the "free kittens/puppies" signs you see in the country so you don't have to ask but depending on where you are and your local curb culture it might be a good idea to ask the owner before you take anything away with you. Certain municipalities actually have outlawed curbing so be sure you know your local laws. If that applies to you, know that you have my sympathy and remember you always have garage and estate sales. Or the option to take your curbing elsewhere.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Looks like your first post! Yay! Can't wait to see what you found on your local curb! My favorite thing to find would have to be old chairs. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new blog! I'm excited to read it (already enjoyed the first post) and I've subscribed to your RSS Feed!

    What a great topic, too, by the way, and you're the perfect person to write about it!

    Jon and I have been curbing here in Montreal, and I think it's a common hobby. We were taking a walk yesterday (keeping an eye out on the curbs as we always do the night before "Bulk Pick Up"), and we passed a few people carrying furniture, but not seeming to be moving in or out or doing anything but walking. Quite funny to be scoping out a chair or door or something and see people down the street out of the corner of your eye doing the same.

    And you're the person who first told me about the possibilities of curbing, all the way back when we were freshman at UD!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could go with you! Once in a while I find something great here in California, but right now things are so tight, folks are even holding tight to their trash!!! Can't wait to see what you find--great concept for a blog!!!

    ReplyDelete